Visitor count

 Latest update:
30 May 2013

[FOCUS on SOUTHAMPTON CEMETERIES]
[Southampton Crematorium]

 

Web Design
Buildings of the First Crematorium

 

The first Southampton Crematorium was created in 1932, and lay immediately to the north of South Stoneham Cemetery..
It was disused in 1973, partly because it was old, and partly because the ground it stood upon was needed for the M27 motorway.
The main buildings were demolished, but the Columbarium and the Garden of Remembrance were retained.

T100_2142he Columbarium at the Old Crematorium, Swaythling

 

 

100_2146War Memorial in the Garden of Remembrance.

In memory of members of HM. Forces who died in WW2 and were cremated here.

There are six faces listing names.