First burial 23rd November 1879, L.A., plot B 14 48
Extent 19.7 acres
Number of burials to 8th July 2009 22,537
For information about the cemetery buildings, click this link
For information about individual graves and memorials, click this link.
History of St Mary Extra Cemetery
St Mary Extra Cemetery was created because of a need for more burial space in the eastern side of the Southampton area in the 1870's. After a poll taken in the parish, a Burial Board of 9 members was chosen. Their first meeting on March 8th 1878 was in Pear Tree Vicarage and the first act was to elect the vicar (Rev. Thomas Lewis Owen Davies) chairman. Robert Pollock was elected vice chairman, as although William Jurd had come second in the poll he was agreeable to Mr Pollock holding this position. Mr H E Robins who as returning officer for the parish was had called the meeting, was appointed solicitor the the Board. At a later meeting Mr Richard Davis was appointed clerk to the Board, and Mr A Bennett of the National Provincial Bank became treasurer.
The first few meetings of the Board were concerned with finding a suitable freehold site for a new cemetery. Several members investigated possible lands owned by the Chamberlayne estate, Mr George Atherley, Mr Richard Rosomon and others, but these possibilities were either denied on principle, were available only as leasehold or were too expensive. Eventually the Board agreed to buy a ten acre field near Butt’s Farm known as Hulton’s Firs, owned by the Rev. William Hulton vicar of Paddington in London.
The agreed price was £1500, and the Board asked the parish vestry to agree to the obtaining of a loan of £3000, to cover layout and building costs as well as the land. Considering banks, the Public Works Loan Board and other sources, the Board eventually agreed to borrow the money from a local businessman Mr Paul Emile Richard Joseph Pouppeville, repayable over 30 years at £184 3s 6d per annum.
Local architects were circulated and asked to send in their plans for two joined chapels and a superintendent’s lodge, and entrance gates. A meeting on Sept 10th 1878 considered the three sets of plans that had been sent in anonymously (under a ‘motto’) , and the plan sent under the name of Gabriel Grub was selected, and found to be from Mr William H Mitchell of Portland Street Southampton.
An advertisement was then put in the four local papers requesting tenders; one for the laying out of the grounds, a second for building the pair of cemetery chapels, gates and lodge.
The winning bid (out of four) for the layout was from Mr Joseph Butt of Weston at £94 16s 9d.
Six tenders were received for the buildings, and the winner was Mr William Hebbard Chapman of Woolston for £1295.
The pair of cemetery chapels (Church of England and Nonconformist) designed by W.H.Mitchell and built in 1879 by W.H.Chapman are mirror images, joined in the middle. This is now a Listed Grade II building.
At the present time the right hand chapel is kept tidy for occasional use for funerals, while the left hand chapel is used for storing gardening tools for the maintenance staff.
There is a war memorial sited near the entrance, opposite the lodge.